What to do with a failed task
When working with workflows in MESA, you may encounter some failed tasks on the Activity tab or by testing your workflow. The workflow will not process the automation completely if an error occurs during any tasks of the workflow.
Follow the steps below on how to troubleshoot an error that occurs during any tasks of the workflow.
While testing using MESA's Test feature, you may encounter some failed tasks. This Test feature displays after clicking the Start button in the Overview tab or the Test button in the Builder tab.
If you see an error appearing like below, you can check the error message under the failed task. In this example, the error message states "Spreadsheet ID or Sheet Name is missing".
Switch to the Logs tab in the Test feature to get more information regarding how the test run ran. Go back to Activity tab once you are done viewing.
In this particular case, you will need to fill out the Spreadsheet or Sheet Name in the Google Sheets Create Row step. You would make these changes in the Builder tab and save your changes.
Go back to the Test feature and click the Replay button. Check to see if your changes have resolved the error.
Logging debug mode
If you find that you are still unable to resolve the error, you can do additional troubleshooting by turning on Logging debug mode in the Settings tab.
1. In the Settings tab, turn on Logging debug mode while troubleshooting any errors. You can turn off Logging debug mode once you are done with troubleshooting.
2. Click on the Save button at the top right corner to save your changes.
3. Go to the Activity tab and locate the failed task which will contain an Error status on the right hand side.
4. Click on the > icon to the left of the date. Every task in the workflow will then display.
5. Locate the error which displays with a red background color.
6. Replay the tasks starting from the Trigger while Logging debug mode is turned on. You can click on the three vertical dots button on the first task. Click Replay to replay the task.
7. MESA provides a more detailed layout under the Logs page. Logs enable you to search for past tasks or to view an entire chain of actions and its information for a specific task. You click on the three-dotted button on the first task and click on Logs.
Since Logging and Logging debug mode are turned on, you will see more information related to the failed task appear.
The messages with the red Error tag will be the most important to review.
8. Once you have made adjustments to your workflow to fix the error, you can replay the failed task.
🗒 Note: If you are unsure of what the error messages means, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Success team with our firstname.lastname@example.org email. We will be happy to work with you on resolving the failed task! 😊