- Connect Klaviyo with MESA
- I don't see my Klaviyo workflow activating when a Klaviyo event is created?
- Create a Flow in Klaviyo for your MESA workflow
Connect Klaviyo with MESA
When you're setting up your first workflow with Klaviyo, you'll need to add your own private API key so that Klaviyo is a connected app within MESA.
2. Under Private API Keys, you can click on the Create Private API Key button.
3. You can name your private key MESA. Then, under Select Access Level, click on Grant applications full access for every API scope.
4. Click on Create.
5. Afterwards, you will see your Private API Key. Click on the copy icon.
6. Then, paste this value into your workflow's Klaviyo step and then click on Add Credential. You are all set! MESA is now connected with your Klaviyo account.
Create Event action
MESA's Klaviyo Create Event action lets you create a new event to track a profile's activity. This is especially helpful if you want to add events whenever something happens in Shopify.
This action has several required fields that you must fill in.
1. Attributes > Properties
Properties are extra information that you'd like to add with the new event. You can think of Key as a label or description title of the extra information while Value is the extra information that you want to send.
In the below screenshot, we send Shopify order's ID as the Value with a Label called "order_id".
2. Metric > Data > Attributes > Name
The Attribute's Name field is the name of the new event added to the profile's activity. In the below screenshot, the name of our event is called "Order Placed"
3. Profile > Data > ID or Profile > Data > Attributes > Email
You must fill out the ID field or the Attributes > Email field so that Klaviyo can identify the correct profile to update. In most cases, you will probably want to use a MESA variable that represents a profile's email address.
In the below screenshot, we selected the variable that represents a Shopify order's email address for the Email field.
Adding people to a Klaviyo list
MESA provides 2 different actions that let you add people to a Klaviyo list. There are key differences between these 2 actions: Add Profile to List and Subscribe Profile
- Add Profile to List: Lets you add people directly to a Klaviyo list without offering consent at all. This also will not change a person's subscription status when they are added to a list.
- Subscribe Profile: If a Klaviyo list has double opt-in enabled, people will receive a message requiring their confirmation before subscribing. Otherwise, people will be immediately subscribed without receiving a confirmation message. This will remove any unsubscribe, spam report, or user suppressed suppressions from the person's profile.
To summarize, if you're trying to give consent to receive email marketing, SMS marketing, or both, we recommend using MESA's Subscribe Profile action in your workflows.
I don't see my Klaviyo workflow activating when a Klaviyo event is created?
MESA workflows that start with a Klaviyo Event Created Trigger will run on a polling system. Meaning, on every hour or whatever the selected frequency is selected in your MESA workflow, MESA will look for any recent activity in Klaviyo. As a result, you may not see immediate activity in your MESA workflow until the frequency hits.
In the Klaviyo Event Created trigger, you can find the polling system under the Advanced Options. You can keep the default frequency or adjust it.
Once the frequency hits, MESA will process every single task that has accrued within the previous timeframe.
🗒 Note: Please note that available frequencies will differ depending on your MESA billing plan.
Create a Flow in Klaviyo for your MESA workflow
- Start a Klaviyo flow with a MESA Track Event
- Using a MESA Track Event in a Klaviyo Conditional Split
- Using Event Variables from MESA's Track Event action
Start a Klaviyo flow with a MESA Track Event
You may want to use those events to trigger some action in Klaviyo. Klaviyo allows you to create Flows so that you can connect MESA and Klaviyo together. If you are not familiar with Flow, you can click here to learn more.
Once you run a test on your MESA workflow, you will find your customized Track Event under Metric when creating a Flow in Klaviyo.
In Klaviyo, create the flow and then under Trigger Setup, click on Metric.
Then, scroll to find your customized MESA Track Event and select it.
Use a MESA Track Event in a Klaviyo Conditional Split
In some cases, you may want to use a MESA track event in a Klaviyo conditional split so that you can add multiple actions depending on whether the condition was satisfied. The following example shows a Klaviyo flow that checks on a fulfilled order after 2 days. If the event " A fulfillment has been delivered" has not occured at least once since starting the Klaviyo flow, Klaviyo will send a notification.
You can find the MESA track event in the field next to Person has in the conditional split.
Using Event Variables from MESA's Track Event action
You can add event variables from MESA's Track Event action in metric-triggered flow messages. For more information on how to do this, you can click here.
1. In a Klaviyo flow, you first need to select the email in which you want to show the dynamic event data. Next, click Edit from the left hand sidebar.
2. Next, click on Edit Email and then Preview Email.
3. In the popup window, you will see a recent event that corresponds with the flow's trigger. You will see all data available for that particular event metric. Once you have located the specific data that you are looking for, you can copy the event variable located in the textbox field and paste it into your message.