Start a Return with Forms by MESA
🔧 Setup is needed:
➕ Add return form
✏️ Configure your email
🔌 Connect with Slack
✅ Save and enable your workflow to start automating!
This template will offer an order return form via Forms by MESA that allows your customers to easily initiate an order return. It will send the responses for each submission to a Google Sheets spreadsheet, emails the customer, and sends a Slack notification to share the return information with your team.
This template can be be extended to automatically generate a return label that is sent to the customer.
🗒️ Note: This template uses the Premium app, Email by MESA. When a workflow runs with a Premium app, the automation run is doubled and counted as 2 automation runs. Learn more.
Let’s get started 🚀
Follow the steps below on how to set up this workflow.
1. The Forms by MESA app is used to create a form for your customers to submit. You can see that the first step is a Form trigger from the Forms by MESA app.
Under the Advanced Options, add a Success Redirect URL that will allow you to redirect customers to a specific link or to embedded pages on your Shopify store. You can also enable a Captcha to protect from spam.
You can build a form from scratch, or copy the HTML code from our Form Builder, modify it, and use it on any page on the web. Learn more about Forms by MESA.
Click the Open Form Builder button on the Form step to see the current form.
2. Paste the Form Embed Code onto a page on your store which requires the customer to be logged in and also has order details.
This will allow the Form Embed Code to capture the Customer ID and Order ID as hidden form fields. You can click here for details on how to add the Form to your Customer Order Page.
3. On the next step, you will see the Shopify Retrieve Order step. Your store’s credentials should already be populated and Step Configuration with the Order ID token.
4. In the Google Sheets Add Row step, click the Authenticate with Google button to connect MESA with your Google Sheets account.
5. In the Step Configuration section of the Google Sheets Add Row step, select Create New and add a new spreadsheet name.
Click the Create Spreadsheet button to create your new Google Sheets spreadsheet.
6. The Select Spreadsheet field will display the title of the new spreadsheet. Click the external link icon to the right of the search bar to view your new spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
Feel free to make changes to the column headers' titles.
7. Go back to the workflow and click on the Update Spreadsheet Columns button to apply the changes to the workflow.
🗒 Note: Anytime you make additional changes on the Google Sheets spreadsheet, like changing the title or column headers, you'll need to click the Update Spreadsheet Columns button again to apply them to the workflow.
8. You also have the option to use MESA to notify your customers through MESA’s premium built-in app, Email by MESA.
In this step, the recipient’s email address from Shopify is retrieved with their order name. The body of the email can be customized to fit your store's needs and tailored to your customers.
9. If your team uses Slack, you can connect to your Slack program to share the return information with your team.
For this step, you will need to add a new Slack App and then create an incoming webhook URL. You’ll then need to copy the webhook URL from your Slack app and paste it back into the Slack step in the MESA workflow. Click the Add Credential button.
10. Once the setup is complete, hit the Save button at the top of the workflow to save your changes.
11. Hit the Enable button when you are ready to start using the workflow.
On the Customer Email or Slack step, change the format of the email or message.
Use the ShipStation app to automatically generate a return label download URL that can be included in the customer email.
Sync Add submissions to Airtable to easily centralize your returns process.
✋ Still have questions? We got you. Email us at email@example.com where actual humans are on standby 24/7, ready to help.